Hiring & Recruiting
We are always looking for qualified applicants to join our team of Corrections Officers at J Reuben Long Detention Center. Apply online
Applicants must complete each of the following before they are hired…
- Written Exam
- Physical Agility Test
- Background Investigation
- Credit Check
- Oral Interview
- Medical Exam
If you have any questions about the hiring process contact,
Cpl. Antonio Soto
Phase One: This includes the completion of a six-week training program, conducted at the facility.
- Direct Supervision Theory and Applications
- Roles and responsibilities of a correctional officer
- Defensive Tactics
- Restraint Techniques
- Booking and releasing inmates
- Reporting and record-keeping
- Supervising Inmates
- Emergency Procedures
- CPR/First Aid
The officer must complete a three-week Basic Jail training course at the SC Criminal Justice Academy within their first year of employment.
- Corrections Officers work a 12.25-hour shift.
- Day shift (6 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
- Night shift (6 p.m. - 6 a.m.)
- Rotating weekly schedule (Week A - Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; Week B- Wednesday and Thursday.)
- The Detention Center provides a minimum of 40 hours of annual training for all corrections officers.