Real Property Tax
Real Property tax notices are mailed to the owner of record October 1st of the given tax year. Payment is due in full on or before January 15th of the following year. Other tax notices mailed in October in addition to real property tax notices include: mobile homes, watercraft, outboard motors, documented vessels, aircraft, furniture-fixture-appliance-equipment (FFAE), S.C. Department of Revenue and campers.
- Tax notices are mailed to property owners according to the address on file with Horry County.
- Review tax notice thoroughly before paying. See back of notice for more information.
- The United States postmark is the determining date for mailed payments as to whether or not penalty applies.
- If your payment cannot be processed, it will be returned for the necessary corrections. Additional penalties and/or fees may accrue.
- Failure to receive bill does not exempt the account from penalty. The Horry County Treasurer's Office is not responsible for mail that has been mishandled by the US Postal Service.
Pay the Tax Notice
- In person, at the Horry County Treasurer's Office [locations] present tax notice with check in US Dollars (payable to Horry County Treasurer), cash or Visa/MasterCard/Discover. Convenience fees apply to all tax payments made with a credit or debit card.
- Through the mail with check or money order only. Make check (in US Dollars) payable to Horry County Treasurer, include tax notice and write the notice number on the check.
- At the Horry County Treasurer's Office night deposit boxes for convenient after business-hours payment [locations]. Checks or money order only, made payable to the Horry County Treasurer, include tax notice and write the notice number on the check.
- Online at www.horrycounty.org with check or Visa/MasterCard/Discover. Go to Online Services, then click 'Tax Payments & Receipts'. Convenience fees apply to all tax payments paid online.
- By phone, call 1-866-830-3582. Convenience fees apply to all tax payments paid by phone.
* Please note that payments paid in person with a credit or debit card, online and by phone are subject to the same convenience fees.
Tax receipt will be mailed to the address on the tax notice. Maintain receipt for annual income tax purposes or obtain a duplicate receipt online at www.horrycounty.org. Go to Online Services, then click Tax Payments & Receipts.
The total tax payment is due by January 15th. If payment is postmarked after January 15th penalties accrue on the following dates: January 16, February 2 and March 17. Please contact our office or refer to the tax notice to obtain the correct amount due.
A receipt will be mailed to address on tax notice, maintain receipt for annual income tax purposes.
Helpful Information and Links
- Always review your tax notice thoroughly before paying. See back of notice for more information.
- You may be eligible for the following discounts:
- Primary residence, farm or agricultural exemption - Tax Assessor (843) 915-5040
- Homestead Exemption - Auditor (843) 915-5050
- If real property (including mobile home) has been sold, contact the Horry County Tax Assessor (843) 915-5040.
- If watercraft/outboard motor, documented vessel, aircraft, FFAE or camper have been sold, contact the Horry County Auditor (843) 915-5050.
- Changes of address for real property should be directed to the Horry County Tax Assessor (843) 915-5040.
- Changes of address for watercraft/outboard motor, documented vessel, aircraft, FFAE or camper should be directed to the Horry County Auditor (843) 915-5050.
- Always include the notice number on check.
- Always include the tax notice with payment.
- TAX MAP NUMBER -- A ten (10) digit number that is assigned for property identification and location.
- NOTICE NUMBER -- A number assigned to each notice and is used when posting payments and making references.
- South Carolina Department of Revenue
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources