Camp Lejeune Water

From the 1950s through the 1980s, people serving or living at the U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, were potentially exposed to drinking water contaminated with industrial solvents, benzene, and other chemicals. This chemical exposure may have led to adverse health conditions.

You May Be Eligibile for VA Health Benefits if You Served on Active Duty(veterans) or Resided(family members) at Camp Lejeune for 30 Days or more Between August 1, 1953 and December 31,1987:

Veterans who are determined to be eligible will be able to receive VA health care. In addition, care for qualifying health conditions is provided at no cost to the Veteran (including copayments).

Eligible family members receive reimbursement for out-of-pocket medical expenses incurred from the treatment of qualifying health conditions after all other health insurance is applied.

Qualifying Health Conditions Include:

• Bladder cancer • Lung cancer • Hepatic steatosis
• Breast cancer • Multiple myeloma • Miscarriage
• Esophageal cancer • Myelodysplastic syndromes • Neurobehavioral effects
• Kidney cancer • Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma • Renal toxicity
• Leukemia • Female infertility • Scleroderma

Veteran Eligibility:

A Camp Lejeune Veteran does not need to have one of the 15 health conditions to be eligible to receive VA health care, nor do they need a service connected disability to be eligible as a Camp Lejeune Veteran for VA health care.


Enroll in VA Healthcare:
• Inform VA that you served on active duty at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days during the covered time period.

Gather Documents:

• Show your relationship to a Veteran, such as a marriage license or birth certificate.
• VA will assist you with verifying residency on Camp Lejeune during the covered timeframe.

• Already enrolled? Contact your local VA health care facility at directory/guide/ to sign up for the Camp Lejeune Program and receive VA care.

Gather Qualifying Expense Receipts:

• By law, VA may only compensate for eligible out- of-pocket expenses after family members have received payment from all other health plans.

• Not yet enrolled? Apply online at http:// or call toll-free 1-877-222-8387.

Apply for Reimbursement:

• Apply online at or call toll-free 1- 866-372-1144.